Hands-on Training (HOT) prostate radiotherapy delineation contouring workshop
Saturday 15 November 2014
09.20 - 11.20 hrs.
C. Salembier, Brussels (BE)
V. Khoo, London (GB)
B. De Bari, Lausanne (IT)
For the first time, a contouring workshop will take place during EMUC. The workshop will use FALCON*, the ESTRO delineation tool. FALCON workshops have been organised at ESTRO congresses since 2010 and have been growing steadily in popularity.
* FALCON (Fellowship in Anatomic delineation and CONtouring) is the multifunctional ESTRO platform for contouring and delineation. Attending a FALCON work- shop offers the opportunity for individual professionals to:
- validate their contouring practice during live work- shops by comparing them with those from experts and other participants;
- learn the indications proposed by the experts that co- ordinate the workshops;
- discuss with other participants, experts and panellists communicate and use the delineation guidelines in order to further integrate themselves into daily practice.
The delineation workshops are aimed at junior clinical or radiation oncologists wanting to improve their contouring skills or more senior specialists wanting to refresh and validate their knowledge and skills in this field.
Structure of the workshops:
Explanation of the contouring software
- Presentation of the clinical case and the delineation exercise
- 20 minutes for delineation on site
- Presentation of the delineation guidelines
- 20 minutes for re-delineation on site
- Discussion between experts and participants
Participants should bring their own laptops. WiFi and wired connection will be available. Participants will be limited to 60 per workshop in order to keep a strong interactivity in the group.
1. Carl Salembier, chair of the workshop
What will participants learn?
The delineation workshop is for junior clinical or radiation oncologists wanting to improve their contouring skills or more senior specialists wanting to refresh and validate their knowledge and skills in this field. You will be updated in the current guidelines in prostate contouring and the experts will provide you with tips and tricks to optimize your skills.
How can a delineation session be a benefit for your daily practice?
The workshop is a mix of practical contouring before and after formal teaching. The participants’ delineations are anonymised and shown in overlay for discussion of differences and issues in contouring. Delineation before and after teaching will be shown in parallel and will give the participant an idea of what have been learnt during the workshop and a possibility to validate the contouring practice by comparing the contours with those from experts and other participants.
2. Vincent Khoo and Marco van Vulpen, panelists
For the first time, a contouring workshop will take place at EMUC. Why this decision?
Key in safe and effective radiation for prostate cancer is contouring. Currently, contouring is getting more and more complex, due to the addition of MRI in clinical practice. Discussions on clinical cases during a contouring workshop may increase quality of radiotherapy, but even clinical practice outside radiotherapy. It is essential also parties outside radiotherapy acknowledge the difficulties and essential role of appropriate imaging in clinical practice of radiotherapy as knowledge on radiotherapy is sometimes lacking. Further, especially delineation requires a multidisciplinary approach and should not be confined to RadOncs alone. As the demands for delineation and treatment are different compared to diagnostic purposes EMUC might be the most appropriate place to have such a workshop.
What would you say is the main strength of the workshop ?
Learning and practice through example is an excellent teaching tool to understand the finer and difficult aspects of target volume delineation.